Gentlemen, I apologize. This post will probably be of zero interest to you!
Ladies, I KNOW I’m not the only one who’s looked in the mirror during a wedding reception and though to myself “how the heck did my eyeliner fall THAT far? I look like I got punched in the eye!” I’m a complete novice when it comes to stuff life this, but throughout the past few years of photographing weddings, I’ve found definite Do’s and definitely Don’t’s when it comes to the cosmetics you wear while shooting. My mantra when it comes to makeup is “simple = YES.” In other words, I don’t want to have to spend a significant portion of time prepping my face before scooting out the door to a wedding, nor do I want to transform myself into something that no longer resembles who I am- everything I use is easy and relatively fuss-free! Here are a few of my must-haves for a professional wedding day look:
1) Bare Minerals foundation powder in Matte, Bare Minerals concealer powder. I’ve been using Bare Minerals since my freshman year of college, and I don’t think I’ll ever not use it! It’s quick, easy, non-greasy, and doesn’t feel heavy like typical foundation. And if my face starts to get a bit shiny, it’s super easy to re-apply!
If I’m having a bad skin day and need a little bit more coverage that’ll stay put throughout the wedding day, I use this Cover FX BB Gel. It gets a bit shiny as the day goes on, but again, it’s super light!
2) Falsies Volum Express in Brownish Black. I know it’s a super cheap mascara, but it doesn’t fall at ALL during the day! No dark circles underneath my eyes, unless I’m super tired :).
3) Clinique cream eyeliner. I LOVE this stuff- it stays all day! No smudging or falling, unless I’ve done a small cat-eye- the winged bit will rub off if I’ve been messing with my eyes, but that’s to be expected. Everything else stays right in place.
4) Urban Decay Primer Potion- I hardly ever wear eye shadow, but when I do, I always start with this! It keeps my shadow from disappearing or creasing as the day goes on.
5) Urban Decay Naked2 eye shadow palette- I just bought this a couple weeks ago and since I have, like, zero cosmetic skills, the only way I know how to use it is by watching YouTube make-up tutorials. But I like that the palette is tame enough for a professional, feminine look, and has enough variety that I can mix things up every time I use it! Having a set of makeup brushes is super helpful, too- the one included with the palette is alright, but it won’t do as good of a job as if you purchase a few of the individual brushes or a full set.
6) SUNSCREEN. This is a recent addition this year- after shooting two stunning vineyard weddings in a row and coming home with sleeveless-dress-tan lines, I realized how much sun I get throughout the course of the day. So I’ve started carrying Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer mist sunscreen so that I can apply without messing up the rest of my make-up!
I always carry a back-up case of make-up essentials in my extra fluff bag, too, just in case it’s a hot, sticky day outside and I need to refresh my powder before heading in for the first dance! It’s not a vanity issue, it’s a desire to appear professional and collected in front of my couples, their friends and family. Shiny, sweaty skin lends itself to a feeling of being rushed, and I never want to appear anything other than totally pulled together, even if I DID just sprint to get to the reception hall before they opened the doors for guests :).